This is a stream-of-consciousness blog for people to contribute to. Email mattyqwilliams@gmail.com to join in.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

a good sense of smell

Every now and again, I catch a whiff of something familiar in the air. A trace of what it used to be like. The smell of freshmen year, a year when all was unfamiliar yet all was comfortable. A year of alternate realities, and bonds so strong they could support the world. I smell this, like windex, wafting from time to time as I walk through campus. Something about the air tastes just right, so these feelings come flooding back. My first roommate. Pokemon into all hours of the night. Metric cups of winter sand carpeting the floor as I walk everywhere in my happy feet. When music wasnt in style. When the circle was tight.

I've recently discovered an old friend who after telling me stories, is now more dear to me than I ever thought possible. Respect and adoration, understanding and sympathy, minding ones own business unless fatal. These are things we have always exhibited together even without knowing it. He and I always reminisce, and we now know why. While we prefer our current status' of the present, there was something magical about the child years of 2006 and 7.

I keep catching that whiff, that taste in the air that tells me a lot of time has passed. A lot of things have changed. We're all on our separate paths now. All of us. And while we may miss each other when we're gone, we have no choice but to flourish onward and upward, and hope the rest may too.

No comments: