This is a stream-of-consciousness blog for people to contribute to. Email mattyqwilliams@gmail.com to join in.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

We are more than machines

Some who rely purely on reason would claim that our minds, our personality, and our very existence is little more than a biological machine filled with complexities but still inherently cause and effect mechanical.

Not so claims one philosopher. I read his words and I think I understand what he is saying. Were we to make a machine that could translate data at the same way we could, it still would not be human. Even if we give it all the cause and effect that we own within our minds, the machine will still never know metaphor, symbolism and association. It might be able to put a few letters together and associate it with "fire" or "car" but it wouldn't know the meaning we give those things.

F-I-R-E= that ember that has been entered in my databanks

F-I-R-E= heat, light, burns, passion, danger, that time I went camping and we stayed up all night keeping our campfire going.

which one is more human?

seems obvious when you think about it, though I known the debate is far more complex than this. still, i sometimes feel its the closest thing to having vindication of the idea of a soul.

No comments: